Queen Matilda, the founder of St Katharine's Hospital and Church.
In the tenth century, land had been given as a reward by King Edgar, to a group of knights, who formed a 'Knighten Guild,' using it extensively for trade. In 1125, their descendants donated it to the Holy Trinity, an Augustian Priory in nearby Aldgate. King Stephen was then king; he and his Queen, Matilda of Boulogne, had lost two of their infant sons, Eustace and William and were buried in Holy Trinity. Matilda planned with the Priory to endow a foundation that would benefit the souls of the Royal family. This led to the building of the Royal Foundation of St Katharine in approximately 1148.